Monday, September 1, 2014

Hello Everyone!

My name is Alexander Ranalli, Alex for short. For my first post, I would like to introduce myself and inform you on what I will be discussing during the weeks to come. I am from Syracuse New York, and went to Syracuse University as an undergraduate in the Inclusive Elementary and Special Education program offered by the School of Education. I have always planned and desired to become a teacher since the second grade. I was fascinated by all the creative ways in which my teacher had my class learn each new concept every day. Since then, I had felt and witnessed the sense of creativity in a classroom lesson become a rarity in classrooms, where many teachers go great lengths to develop a creative lesson, however adversely in many other cases there is a lack of creativity. It is my goal to reach out and discover new ways to help bring that creativity back into the classroom for all students and teachers.
Therefore, once I had finished my undergraduate degree, I entered the Instructional Technology Masters program also at Syracuse University, as a way to learn how to use technology in a classroom setting. With the uses of technology in the classroom, it could provide additional possibilities to unlock the creativity for students and teachers.

This blog will start with the focus on educational games. Although at first glance, the words education and games might seem like two different entities. There are actually several different websites and board/card games in which can be entertaining for different grade levels as well as possibly providing review, extra support or new knowledge or understanding of a concept taught during a class lesson. Each week I will look into different types of educational games and provide my opinion on how each game could be used during or after a lesson. I will also post links to each website I find in addition to pictures or screenshots of the page to help anyone interested to find them. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Labor Day and a fantastic week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    You have pointed very important issue “ Creativity into classroom”. Educators should pay more attention to it. You did very well in choosing educational games, they will add creativity to classroom and make learning joyable journey for learners and instructors. I am sure that you will post very interesting posts!
    Sammya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,
    I love that you state that at first glance the words education and games might seem like two different entities. I have found that, in the past, some of the only ways to get students involved and invested is through 'games'! I think that educators try anything that they can to bring the curriculum to life and using games has been a form of doing that for many years. Recently, the educational games that we were used to while growing up have taken a whole new forem. They have moved to websites. I am very excited an interested to see what you find and figure out how it could be incorporated into a middle school classroom!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete