Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Jumpstart Buzzwords - Knowledge Adventure Games

Hello everyone!

            Today is my first posting of a game that I have found over the course of last week. Since this is my first post I started to look at more elementary based games, ranging from pre-K to sixth grade. My first instinct to look for educational games was to check what was first available for internet users by typing in "educational games" into my Google search box. While scrolling down, I noticed the name "Knowledge Adventure" which had caught my eye. I did some exploring around the site and this is what I found.



This website, at first glance has access to a range of games that you can filter through based on your student or child's age or grade level. In addition to the grade and age filter, the use also has access to filter based on subject area containing; science, math, animal, reading, spelling and word games. My focus while I was viewing these games was to look for content that allowed students to play the game, while working on a strategy or learning something new in the particular content area.

After playing around with several of the games at different grade levels and content areas, I noticed that the filter systems were not working as I had anticipated. The games in most of the content areas had limited information to no information at all. Many games were just that, games. I also noticed that this website is also lacking any game-based learning for the history subject area. However, I did find a game that I felt could be used to support a student's spelling and vocabulary.  

Jumpstart Buzzwords, is a beat the clock, spelling game, around the idea of the commonly played bejeweled or candy crush style of piece matching game. The game is set up in a log mill and your letters are planks of logs. The idea of this game is to spell different words using only adjacent letters. Once you create a word the letters fall just like they would in the other Bejeweled and Candy Crush games. You have to be careful though, if you run out of time and you have too many word planks on the board, the saws will clear the board and the game will be over.



I feel this game can be used for supporting from about fourth grade to any age. I say this because this game only allows certain words and word length. I was able to find some three-letter words that worked, up to six-letter words, which are harder than you would think. This game takes strategy to think of different vocabulary words in a students' repertoire and then requires him or her to spell the word correctly before getting any points. As you play, the levels get harder and you even get some special tools to help or hinder your game play. It is a fun game, and if you have a spare moment check it out! See if you can beat my score, I got 1544 points before stopping!
Have fun and have a great week! 

5 comments:

  1. The games you found can be great learning tools for kids. Not all kids learn the same way or at the same rate and by having different options of teaching them through games is a great tool. I look forward hearing more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question Sammya, I was thinking that it could be used in both situations, however it would most likely be used as a review or supporting tool for students to play during a certain time in class or at home. It could even be assigned for "homework" to play for a selected time limit and to have the score page printed and brought as the "proof" that it was completed. My next game post will be in reference to math, and it could be used as a sort lesson. I created the lesson idea from a game by changing it around to end with a specific result that will be accomplished at the end. I wont give away too much, you will have to read the post next week! Thank you for your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your answer! I like how this game as a tool is very flexible in usage, the teacher can use it any time he/she feels best fit.
    Can't wait for next week post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played around with the knowledge adventure website with my class on Friday. It was a lot of fun! Where I teach, we have a place where we can give parents access to different study tools online. I added this to the list. Thank you so much! I am looking forward to using more of the materials that you research! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete