Wednesday, October 1, 2014

River Crossing - Multiplication Facts

Hey Everyone!

save imageFor the educational game of the week, I found the game called "River Crossing." My focus this week was to find a game that would support the enjoyment of learning mathematics. During my placement at a school the other day, I was introduced to the game called "River Crossing" This game focuses on practicing multiplication skills in order to complete a task. After playing the game, I believe that it is best suited for students who want to increase their multiplication skills within 1-100 multiplication chart. It could be used from fourth grade, when students know some basics on multiplication learning, to middle school grades where students might desire additional practice with their skills.


save imageThe point of the game is to choose two out of the three numbers on a board that will provide an answer on a number board located in a river. You are tasked with creating a pathway to help one of the students "Mike" get across by building planks where answers to the multiplication sentences are located.

You will have to be strategic in your decisions and you have to make sure your answers are correct. If you choose a wrong number, as an answer too many times your path will begin to sink and Mike will be unable to cross.

Once you make it across the game will get harder and you can only create paths in specific ways. You score is based on the planks/bridges you build. The more planks/bridges (aka correct answers) the more points you will receive.


I this game is both engaging and resourceful for the students to work on their multipcation skills while having fun winning the game. See how far you can get! The link is located below.


http://flash.learning.com/ahamath-demo/River-Crossing/content/ScormDriver_Demo.html

Have a great week,


Alex

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    Sometimes I wish that there were some of these games when I was in school☹ I think education now is more fun and interactive. I remember that we memorize the multiplication from 1 to 12 and if we miss in class the teacher hit our hands with the ruler.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Sammya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    I agree with Sammya this game definitely is a great game and I wish it was around when I was learning my multiplication as well because it was hard for me back then. But this game can definitely help kids because it is engaging and is a game that can help kids practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have one period every other day with my students that we call a 'flex' period. I typically borrow a computer cart and have the kids work on math facts. This game is PERFECT! I love the games that you continue to share. I also agree with Sammya. I struggled with math when I was younger and I wish that online games were an option when we were growing up. They are so much more interesting than the old flashcards!

    ReplyDelete